October 21, 2009

Loading Zone

9am
Aahhh, a loading zone
A refuge from the city in the heart of the city
I'm safe here for a while
So let's sit back and watch the parade
The talkers, the smokers, the walkers, the suits
Hmm
Not much going on
I sure wish they'd just do something
Something else

Noon
Hey, Loading Zone
It's a lucky day
Today you are my restaurant
I'll have the usual
A lunchmeat on sale sandwich
Home-chopped carrots
A pear
Lots of people walk in pairs
When they get alone they talk to a someone on a cellular phone
No one wants to be alone it seems
Neither does me!
That's why I'm here with you, LZ

2pm
Mmmmm, this loading zone
The Curbside Motel
On my back
I hear the parade milling
Their halved conversations lull me into near dreams
I brought a sleeping bag
Those fat guys want this space
Their wheezy barks bounce off our steamed windows
They want important heavy things placed inside of that building
But I'm inside a sleeping bag
We have this slumber party reserved until 4pm
That's when you turn back into a pumpkin
An expensive, illegal one

3pm
I'm dreaming in the loading zone
Dreaming a fat truck smashed into the loading zone
The truck squished my body like a grape on sale
The sleeping bag prevented my squishy remains from spilling onto the loading zone
The authorities won't find my body until next week
My blood is tingling like an electric creek
My pager chirps
It sounds underwater
But really it's underbody
My body is squishy!
Oh, but that's because I'm fat these days
My arm still wants to sleep
Time to make the gonuts
I wave goodbye to you
The prickles limp my wave
The fat guys jeer

No comments:

Post a Comment