February 4, 2010

10 Minutes In Waukegan

He was pushing 60.
He had a beer gut.
The last strands of his hair clutched whitely to his weathered scalp.
He was standing on the side of a road in Waukegan wearing a Statue of Liberty outfit.

Next door a car insurance company works out of a trailer.
I waited inside to pick up some documents.
A man was trying to get insurance before his court date that day.
He said "my Cadillac" three times.
She said "last minute" twice.
A mailman pulled up to the old man in the Statue of Liberty outfit and handed him mail.

I went to a gas station to grab a cup of coffee.
Feeling fancy and using terrible judgment, I opted for a pumpkin cappuccino from a self serve machine.
It tasted like Turtle Wax with a hint of print shop.

I left Waukegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment